Training for Private Investors
We now have three courses on offer for private investors:
Introduction to Equity Analysis (half day)
Introduction to Accounting for Investors (half day)
Creative Accounting and Fraud Detection (full day)
Introduction to Equity Analysis
Our Introduction to Equity Analysis will help you to make better investment decisions. The course runs for four hours and will equip you with a checklist to help you pick winning stocks and avoid problems.The course is structured in the following modules:
- Finding the Ideas - how to find winning stock ideas
- Testing the Hypothesis - check that this is an idea worth pursuing
- Understanding the Industry - how to understand the business model
- Company Specifics - drilling down from industry to company
- Checklists - history, share price trends, shareholder base, management, assessing quality
- Valuation - how to value the business and judge if the stock is cheap
This course will help attendees approach new investments with more confidence and will teach you the key factors to look for in an equity investment. The next course is on February 22 and can be booked here.
Introduction to Accounting for Investment Analysis
Our Introduction to Accounting for Investment Analysis will help you to understand the way companies present financial information in their accounts and investor presentations. Only a basic financial knowledge is assumed, and the intention is to help the lay investor understand finanical reporting. In turn, this will enable you to make better investment decisions. The course runs for four hours and will equip you with the understanding you need to find your way round the financial statements. The course is structured in the following modules:
- Report and Accounts - how to approach the accounts
- Balance Sheet - this is where an understanding of a company starts
- Income Statement - principal features, what's important
- Cash Flow - how cash is generated and how it ties back to the other statements
- Other statements - looking at other statements and company publications
- Valuation - some key valuation tools and how to calculate them
This course will help attendees understand how to read a report and accounts and to identify the key factors which underpin a quality investment. The next course is on the afternoon of February 22, and can be booked together with the Introduction to Equity Analysis. Please book here
Creative Accounting and Fraud Detection Course
Our Creative Accounting and Fraud Detection Course has been developed for enthusiastic private investors and small institutions. Held at a City location over the course of a day, it is designed to help investors detect earnings manipulation, and better evaluate the quality of a company's earnings. Packed with real-life examples of accounting chicanery, attendees will learn about
- Accounting policy tricks companies use to flatter their earnings.
- Working capital ratios, and how best to modify them to detect early revenue recognition
- Expense capitalisation – how companies defer recognition of liabilities
- How companies fake profits using related party transactions
- Cash Flow Manipulation - how cash from operations can be boosted to make companies appear more valuable
The course has over 100 real life examples of accounting chicanery and 6 in-depth case studies. Delivered by a veteran analyst with 30+ years of experience, it also draws on a number of relevant academic studies. The content is similar to our institutional course, but has been adapted for private investors.
Our next courses will be held on February 8 from 8.30am to 5pm. Venue is 35 New Broad St. Price is £650, which includes a light breakfast, lunch, all refreshments during the day, and post event drinks.